City Manager and City Clerk
Utility Bills - WATER
The Finance Department is responsible for meter reading and billing services for the 5,000 Water utility customers. The department bills customers every other month, based on location, either East or West of the Downtown Plaza. Utility billing rates are set annually by the City Council at a Public Hearing during the month of September, with any rate increases effective the following February.
Questions about billing or service?
Utility billing questions can be directed to City staff as follows:
By Phone - Barbara Cates, Accounting Technician,  933-2237 or  933-2244
In Person - City Hall, No. 1 the Plaza, Sonoma - Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. [closed noon - 1:00 p.m.]
In Writing - City of Sonoma Finance Department-Utility Billing, No. 1 the Plaza, Sonoma, CA 95476
By Fax -  933-2246
Service Problems: For service questions, to report a leak or water quality issues, please call  938-3681 for immediate assistance during normal business hours.
• Bills are due upon receipt and must be paid within 20 days from the billing date.
• FAILURE TO RECEIVE A BILL DOES NOT EXCUSE PENALITIES OR SERVICE DISCONNECTION.
• Postmarks will not be accepted as the payment receipt date. Payments received after 4:00 P.M. will be posted the following business day.
• If you are unable to pay this bill within the required time frame, you must contact the City Water Department during regular service hours prior to the due date.
• A service charge is included on all accounts based on meter size and is a fixed charge. This fee covers costs of maintaining the City's water system.
• Additional fees:
Delinquent Fee $20
Turnoff for non-payment $85 Returned checks $24
• Customers are responsible for their account until the City is notified to stop service. Until such notice has been made, the premises shall be deemed occupied by the customer and late fees and payment liability continues. [See Termination of Service below]
• Water meters are the property of the City. An 18” meter box clearance must be maintained on each side for City access.
NEW SERVICE REQUESTS
Customers must complete and sign a Utilities Application-Connect Form. This form may be obtained at City Hall, No. 1, the Plaza, Sonoma, CA 95476 or by calling  938-3681. The completed forms may be returned by mail or in person. Fax or electronic transmittal is not acceptible due to the need for an original signature on the application.
New residential service customers [includes renters, agents, & lessees] are required to make a $150 deposit along with the application. The Deposit may be refunded in two years [with good payment history]. New service can normally be initiated within 24 hours of receipt of signed application and deposit. The City does not accept credit cards at this time.
TERMINATION OF SERVICE
Customers wishing to disconnect service should call the Water Department at  933-2244 or  938-3681 at least 24 hours in advance. You may also e-mail notice of termination to: Barbara Cates, Accounting Technician, email@example.com. Please include all information including termination date, location address, forwarding address and telephone number where you may be contacted in case of questions. Following disconnection of service, a final bill will be sent out.