Description: Verizon submitted applications to install wireless telecommunication facilities in the public right of way in 10 locations within Sonoma (3 commercially zoned locations and 7 residentially zoned locations).
On January 23, 2020, the Planning Commission held a Public Hearing and approved three Resolutions which included findings and incorporated conditions of approval for each of the “Final” proposed sites.
On February 3 , 2020, and February 7, 2020 appeals were filled with the City of Sonoma by The CBR Group c/o Verizon and Lin Marie DeVincent/Mark Marthaler, respectively.
On March 16, 2020, the City Council continued the appeals of the Verizon sites to May 18, 2020. Due to COVID-19 the appeals were continued to June 15, 2020.
On June 15, 2020, the City Council will hear the appeals of the Verizon sites. Here are the attachments:
A. Staff Reports of the Planning Commission, dated:
B. Planning Commission Minutes, dated:
C. Planning Commission Resolutions approving the tree Use Permits:
D. Letter from City Attorney's office to Verizon's legal counsel with draft agreement July 26, 2018
E. Email from Verizon's counsel to City Attorney's office dated August 2, 2018 with attachment titled "Shot Clock Tracker 08.02.18
F. Letter dated August 9, 2018, from City to The CBR Group
G. Letter dated August 14, 2018, from the CBR Group to City
H. Letter dated September 11, 2018, from City to The CBR Group
I. Letter dated October 11, 2018 from The CBR Group to City
J. Emails between the City Attorney's office and Verizon's counsel dated May 20, 30, and 31, 2019, and June 3, 2019 regarding designs to be submitted for Planning Commission study session
K. Email from city to The CBR Group with attachments for Smart Vault Details and Pricing for Sonoma dated April 1, 2018
L. Letter from City Attorney's office to Verizon's council May 1, 2019
M. Verizon's email responding to Smart Vault dated June 7, 2019
N. Emails from Verizon's legal counsel to City Attorney's office dated October 10 and 14, 2019
O. Letter from Verizon's legal counsel to Planning Commission dated January 23, 2020
P. timeline Agreement and "Amendments" between the City and Verizon Wireless:
- Agreement dated August 6, 2018
- Amendment to August 6, 2018 Agreement, dated August 29, 2018
- Second Amendment confirming at 11/8/18 hearing, dated November 20, 2018
- Third Amendment, dated March 15, 2019
- Fourth Amendment, dated May 30, 2019
- Fifth Amendment, dated October 1, 2019
- Sixth Amendment, dated October 21, 2019
- Seventh Amendment dated November 11, 2019
- Eighth Amendment dated March 16, 2020
V. Emails dated April 1, 2019 and May 1 2019
W. Verizon City Council Appeal June 15, 2020 Design Packet & Vaulting Analysis, dated March 16, 2020
X. Memorandum Exhibits Lin Marie deVincent and Mark Marthaler 04-Jun-20
Y. Letter from Lee Afflerbach, CTC, City's Technical Consultant, dated March 11, 2020 with attachments (3)
AA. Historic of Verizon Cell Site Applications (2017-2019)
BB. 282 Support Messages for Verizon Wireless Small Cells in Sonoma
At the Planning Commission meeting on November 8th, 2018 three commercially zoned Use Permits were reviewed by the Planning Commission. Verizon responded to comments from the public and Planning Commissioners by requesting additional time to provide the City with re-designs of their proposed equipment at the three commercially zoned locations. Subsequently, the City and Verizon modified a processing timeline agreement.
In March 2019, Verizon requested an additional extension of 60 days on all deadlines to provide the City with new designs of the proposed facilities. The City and Verizon modified the processing timeline agreement to reflect the 60-day extension.
In September, 2019, Verizon Wireless submitted three Use Permit applications install a wireless telecommunications small cell node in the public right-of-way for sites identified as Sonoma 006 (see 006 location map), 007 (see 007 location map) and 012 (see 012 location map). The applications will be heard by the Planning Commission at thier meeting on September 12, 2019. You can view application document in two parts, Part 1 (pages 1-36) and Part 2 (pages 37-69) .
At their meeting of September 12th, the Planning Commission continued the hearing on three Use Permit applications submitted by Verizon Wireless to install a wireless telecommunications small cell node in the public right-of-way. The public hearing was continued to November 14th to allow the applicant to look at design alternatives for the three proposed poles and possibly proposing different sites/locations, which may include co-location on existing poles in the public right of way and also to look at placing wireless facilities on commercial buildings.
Commercial Applications (3 applications) - Updated Calendar
- November 14th - Continued Planning Commission hearing
Residential Applications are suspended without further action until a final determination on the commercial applications.
- July 31, 2019 - Last day for Verizon to provide notice to reinitiate residential applications
- October 31, 2019 - 90 days after notice by Verizon to reinitiate the applications - Planning Commission makes determination on applications
- January 31, 202 - 90 days after Planning Commission determination - City Council makes final determination on any appeals
- October 16, 2020, City Council Meeting – October 19th, 6:00PM
- May 15, 2020, City Council Meeting – May 18th, 6PM
- March 13, 2020, Public Hearing on Appeals of Three Use Permits/Sites for Verizon Small Cell Facilities Continued
- September 19, 2019, Hearing for Small Cell Applications Continued to November 14th
- September 9, 2019, Planning Commission to Hear Small Cell Applications September 12th
- August 27, 2019, Planning Commission to Consider Verizon Wireless Small Cell Node Applications – September 12th
- March 26, 2019, Verizon Small Cell Towers Timeline Modified
- November 15, 2018, Urgency Ordinance Regarding Small Cell Towers Approved
- September 18, 2018, Verizon Small Cell Tower Applications – Update and Modified Timeline
- August 20, 2018, CANCELLED — August 30th Planning Commission Special Meeting on Verizon Commercial Small Cell Towers
- August 10, 2018, City Update on Verizon Small Cell Tower Applications