Description: Verizon submitted applications to install wireless telecommunication facilities in the public right of way in 10 locations within Sonoma (3 commercially zoned locations and 7 residentially zoned locations).
At the Planning Commission meeting on November 8th, 2018 three commercially zoned Use Permits were reviewed by the Planning Commission. Verizon responded to comments from the public and Planning Commissioners by requesting additional time to provide the City with re-designs of their proposed equipment at the three commercially zoned locations. Subsequently, the City and Verizon modified a processing timeline agreement.
In March 2019, Verizon requested an additional extension of 60 days on all deadlines to provide the City with new designs of the proposed facilities. The City and Verizon modified the processing timeline agreement to reflect the 60-day extension.
In September, 2019, Verizon Wireless submitted three Use Permit applications install a wireless telecommunications small cell node in the public right-of-way for sites identified as Sonoma 006 (see 006 location map), 007 (see 007 location map) and 012 (see 012 location map). The applications will be heard by the Planning Commission at thier meeting on September 12, 2019. You can view application document in two parts, Part 1 (pages 1-36) and Part 2 (pages 37-69) .
At their meeting of September 12th, the Planning Commission continued the hearing on three Use Permit applications submitted by Verizon Wireless to install a wireless telecommunications small cell node in the public right-of-way. The public hearing was continued to November 14th to allow the applicant to look at design alternatives for the three proposed poles and possibly proposing different sites/locations, which may include co-location on existing poles in the public right of way and also to look at placing wireless facilities on commercial buildings.
Commercial Applications (3 applications) - Updated Calendar
- November 14th - Continued Planning Commission hearing
On January 23, 2020, the Planning Commission held a Public Hearing and approved three Resolutions which included findings and incorporated conditions of approval for each of the “Final” proposed sites.
On February 3 , 2020, and February 7, 2020 appeals were filled with the City of Sonoma by The CBR Group c/o Verizon and Lin Marie DeVincent/Mark Marthaler, respectively.
On March 16, 2020, the City Council continued the appeals of the Verizon sites to May 18, 2020.
Attachments for May 18, 2020, City Council Meeting
A. Staff Reports of the Planning Commission, dated:
B. Planning Commission Minutes, dated:
C. Planning Commission Resolutions approving the tree Use Permits:
G. Letter dated August 14, 2018, from the CBR Group to City
L. Letter from City Attorney's office to Verizon's council May 1, 2019
P. timeline Agreement and "Amendments" between the City and Verizon Wireless:
- Agreement dated August 6, 2018
- Amendment to August 6, 2018 Agreement, dated August 29, 2018
- Second Amendment confirming at 11/8/18 hearing, dated November 20, 2018
- Third Amendment, dated March 15, 2019
- Fourth Amendment, dated May 30, 2019
- Fifth Amendment, dated October 1, 2019
- Sixth Amendment, dated October 21, 2019
- Seventh Amendment dated November 11, 2019
Residential Applications are suspended without further action until a final determination on the commercial applications.
- July 31, 2019 - Last day for Verizon to provide notice to reinitiate residential applications
- October 31, 2019 - 90 days after notice by Verizon to reinitiate the applications - Planning Commission makes determination on applications
- January 31, 202 - 90 days after Planning Commission determination - City Council makes final determination on any appeals