On February 4th, 2019, the City Council discussed their Planning Agenda for the upcoming months and directed staff to schedule a discussion for commercial cannabis in order to review policy direction.
Should the City Council decide to authorize a change in policy direction and approve commercial cannabis activities in the City, there are a number of actions that will need to be taken to move forward.
- Return to City Council for more specific policy direction on each of the items outlined above;
- Develop a commercial cannabis regulatory ordinance;
- Develop a merit-based application process and implement a fee cost recovery program;
- Develop and conduct application review, scoring, merit-based ranking, interviews and selection process assuming a limited number of businesses to be allowed; and
- Develop a commercial cannabis tax measure for the November 2020 election
At their meeting on February 20, 2019, the City Council approved a Resolution authorizing a contract with HdL Companies to provide cannabis management consulting assistance to augment staffing needs, see the staff report and proposal.
HdL Companies is scheduled to return to City Council at the Regular Meeting of the City Council on Monday, March 4, 2019, to provide specific guidance for the development of a possible ordinance.