The National Weather Service has upgraded the current Heat Advisory to an Excessive Heat Warning. The Advisory goes until 9 PM this evening while the Excessive Heat Warning remains in effect through Wednesday, August 19th.
- Raise the thermostat: set to 78 degrees when at home, health permitting. Turn it up to 85 degrees or off when not at home.
- Use a ceiling fan: this will allow you to raise the thermostat about 4 degrees to save on cooling costs with no reduction to comfort.
- Turn off fans and lights when you leave a room.
- Cover windows: use shade coverings and awnings so the A/C won’t have to work as hard.
- Avoid using the oven, instead, cook on the stove, use a microwave, or grill outside.
- Limit the opening of your refrigerator. The average fridge is opened 33 times a day – how low can you go?
- Charge electric cars after 9 or 10 pm.