The City of Sonoma has selected Marcelo Defreitas as Honorary Alcalde (“Alcalde” is the Spanish name for Mayor.) After considerable discussion, the Mayor nominated Mr. Defreitas in recognition of his fundraising efforts and contributions to the Sonoma community. She announced her selection at the January 29, 2018 Council Meeting and it was ratified unanimously by the City Council.
The nomination for Alcalde was based upon several of the following:
- A broad spectrum of voluntary community service to Sonoma Valley
- Service in a leadership role in at least one non-profit organization
- Has spearheaded at least one community-serving project without compensation
- Is well-known for consistent behind-the-scenes good deeds
- Does not seek public accolades or recognition for work done
- Adheres to a high standard of moral and ethical values
Newly appointed Defreitas currently serves as the President of the Board of Directors for La Luz and has been instrumental in raising funds for many local non-profits including the Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, Jack London State Park, Lyon Ranch, and Sonoma Valley Fund, to name a few.
The City of Sonoma will host a reception in Defreitas’ honor in the near future. Details of the reception will be announced at a later date.
Learn more about the City of Sonoma Alcalde and view a list of past Alcaldes and Alcaldessas.
For additional information, contact Rebekah Barr, City of Sonoma – 933-2216.