The Sonoma Overlook Trail Stewards have posted photographs of the American Conservation Experience team working on the trail. You can read the full update and see the progress photos on their website, overlookmontini.org.
The extensive rehabilitation project to make a more sustainable Sonoma Overlook Trail began June 17, 2018, during which time the trail will be closed to the public until fall 2018. See a map of the closure area and a detailed trail map of the neighboring Montini Preserve hiking trails.
During closure, SOT Stewards suggest these nearby alternatives:
- Mountain Cemetery, see map at the Overlook trailhead kiosk or download
- Montini Open Space Preserve, Trailhead at Fourth Street West near Haraszthy; and behind the Field of Dreams (adjacent to the police station parking lot). Free Community Hike led by Jeni Nichols every Wednesday 8:30-9:30 during the Overlook Trail closure, meet in the police station parking lot. See a trail map.
- The Sonoma Bike Path, Nathanson Creek Parkway, Fryer Creek Trail, download the Sonoma Bicycle Map to see trails and connecting streets.
- Maxwell Farms Regional Park, 100 Verano Ave, Sonoma, CA 95476
- Sonoma Valley Regional Park, 13630 Sonoma Hwy, Glen Ellen, CA 95442,
- Jack London State Historic Park, 2400 London Ranch Rd, Glen Ellen, CA 95442
- Sugarloaf Ridge State Park, 2605 Adobe Canyon Rd, Kenwood, CA 95452
- Hood Mountain Regional Park and Open Space Preserve, 1450 Pythian Road, Santa Rosa
- Trione-Annadel State Park, south of Highway 12 on Channel Drive via Montgomery Drive (Lawndale entrance and eastern area of park closed), Santa Rosa, CA
- Spring Lake Regional Park, 393 Violetti Road, Santa Rosa, CA