I received a traffic citation. What are my next steps?

You may use the Traffic Pay By Web system to pay and close your citation, or to sign up and pay for Traffic School (if eligible).

Options to Clear Your Citation

If the citation does not require a mandatory court appearance, you may follow the instructions on
the court’s Courtesy Notice to clear a citation. Options generally available include the following:

1. Pay (forfeit) the bail amount. This will close the citation and report the conviction to your
driver’s license record (if the violation is reportable to the California Department of
Motor Vehicles).

2. Submit the signed “Certificate of Correction” with appropriate fees to the court. Any
police officer may sign-off most correctable violations. Violations of 16028 VC
(automobile liability insurance) will only be dismissed upon: (1) showing or mailing
evidence of financial responsibility (to the court) which was valid at the time the notice to
appear was issued and (2) payment of a transaction fee shown on your Courtesy Notice.
The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may only sign-off vehicle
registration and driver’s license violations.

3. Sign-up with the court to attend Traffic Violator School (TVS) (if eligible). Classroom,
home study, and online internet classes are available throughout California. NOTE: If
you are eligible and decide not to attend Traffic Violator School, your automobile
insurance may be adversely affected. One conviction in any 18-month period will be held
confidential on your DMV record if you complete a Traffic Violator School and pay all
related Traffic Violator School fees. See below for further information regarding Traffic
Violator School.

4. Request a court trial. Please refer to the section entitled “To Contest Your Citation”
for more information.

Close window