The extensive rehabilitation project to make a more sustainable Sonoma Overlook Trail is set to begin June 17, 2018, during which time the trail will be closed to the public until mid-September 2018. See a map of the closure area and a detailed trail map of the neighboring Montini Preserve hiking trails.
The public is invited to join the City of Sonoma, Sonoma Overlook Trail Stewards, Sonoma Ecology Center and the American Conservation Experience Trail Crew as they commemorate the start of the extensive rehabilitation project on the Lower and Upper Overlook Trail on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 1:00 pm at the Sonoma Overlook Trail Kiosk.
The celebration will include an overview and history of the project, groundbreaking ceremony and light refreshments. The Sonoma Overlook Trail Kiosk is located just outside the gates to the Sonoma Mountain Cemetery, 2 blocks north of the Sonoma Plaza.
During closure, SOT Stewards suggest these nearby alternatives:
- Mountain Cemetery, see map at the Overlook trailhead kiosk or download
- Montini Open Space Preserve, Trailhead at Fourth Street West near Haraszthy; and behind the Field of Dreams (adjacent to the police station parking lot). Free Community Hike led by Jeni Nichols every Wednesday 8:30-9:30 during the Overlook Trail closure, meet in the police station parking lot. See a trail map.
- The Sonoma Bike Path, Nathanson Creek Parkway, Fryer Creek Trail, download the Sonoma Bicycle Map to see trails and connecting streets.
- Maxwell Farms Regional Park, 100 Verano Ave, Sonoma, CA 95476
- Sonoma Valley Regional Park, 13630 Sonoma Hwy, Glen Ellen, CA 95442,
- Jack London State Historic Park, 2400 London Ranch Rd, Glen Ellen, CA 95442
- Sugarloaf Ridge State Park, 2605 Adobe Canyon Rd, Kenwood, CA 95452
- Hood Mountain Regional Park and Open Space Preserve, 1450 Pythian Road, Santa Rosa
- Trione-Annadel State Park, south of Highway 12 on Channel Drive via Montgomery Drive (Lawndale entrance and eastern area of park closed), Santa Rosa, CA
- Spring Lake Regional Park, 393 Violetti Road, Santa Rosa, CA