The Sonoma Overlook Trail Stewards have reported that the Sonoma Overlook Trail Reroute and Rehabilitation project is now 50% complete.
The American Conservation Experience (ACE) crew members are using a variety of trail techniques to shed water off the trail to slow erosion and to cover some of the exposed bedrock. The crew has constructed a new reroute on a segment of the lower trail and have built rock swales and small retaining walls to direct water off the trail. In addition, the portion of degraded trail that is being rerouted is now being restored to a natural state.
Remaining work includes: building a series of stone steps to address grade changes that have accelerated erosion and exposed bedrock; finishing swales; constructing small retaining walls; and removing berm (raised soil and vegetation on the edges of the trail) that inhibit natural hydraulic flow.
The extensive rehabilitation project to make a more sustainable Sonoma Overlook Trail began June 17, 2018. The Sonoma Overlook Trail continues to be closed to the public during the Reroute and Rehabilitation project. See a map of the closure area and a detailed trail map of the neighboring Montini Preserve hiking trails.
During closure, SOT Stewards suggest these nearby alternatives:
- Mountain Cemetery, see map at the Overlook trailhead kiosk or download
- Montini Open Space Preserve, Trailhead at Fourth Street West near Haraszthy; and behind the Field of Dreams (adjacent to the police station parking lot). Free Community Hike led by Jeni Nichols every Wednesday 8:30-9:30 during the Overlook Trail closure, meet in the police station parking lot. See a trail map.
- The Sonoma Bike Path, Nathanson Creek Parkway, Fryer Creek Trail, download the Sonoma Bicycle Map to see trails and connecting streets.
- Maxwell Farms Regional Park, 100 Verano Ave, Sonoma, CA 95476
- Sonoma Valley Regional Park, 13630 Sonoma Hwy, Glen Ellen, CA 95442,
- Jack London State Historic Park, 2400 London Ranch Rd, Glen Ellen, CA 95442
- Sugarloaf Ridge State Park, 2605 Adobe Canyon Rd, Kenwood, CA 95452
- Hood Mountain Regional Park and Open Space Preserve, 1450 Pythian Road, Santa Rosa
- Trione-Annadel State Park, south of Highway 12 on Channel Drive via Montgomery Drive (Lawndale entrance and eastern area of park closed), Santa Rosa, CA
- Spring Lake Regional Park, 393 Violetti Road, Santa Rosa, CA