At the March 18, 2019, City Council meeting, City Council approved the first reading of the draft ordinance regulating wine tasting facilities with changes. The following components will be included in the second reading of the draft ordinance on April 1, 2019:
- The geographic area for the ordinance is limited to the Plaza Retail Overlay District (PROD). There is no limit to the number of tasting rooms that can locate outside of the PROD.
- Place a limit the number of total wine tasting facilities in the PROD from the current number of 29 to 25. No new use permits to be allowed until the total number of tasting rooms is below the threshold limit set.
- Limit the number of wine tasting facilities that can locate on block faces (and corners) that directly face the Plaza to 2 (two) per side.
- The current wine tasting rooms can continue to operate until the use is abandoned, but the current tasting rooms cannot expand or move to a new location until there is capacity based on the numerical limit.
- All new tasting rooms in the future in the City will require a new conditional use permit.
The current urgency ordinance is effective until May 1, 2019. The City Council is scheduled to take action on April 1st (2nd reading) in order to meet the May 1, 2019 deadline.
For more information, please visit the Tasting Room Regulation page.