The Sonoma County Water Agency (Sonoma Water) is scheduled to begin repairs on Monday, September 12, on a 16” pipeline near the Verano Avenue bridge in unincorporated Sonoma County near the City of Sonoma. The pipeline, known as the Sonoma Aqueduct, serves the City of Sonoma Water Division (City).
To make the repair, the pipeline will be turned off and the water supply from the pipeline to the City will be temporarily stopped. In anticipation, the City has increased stored water supplies to current capacity, ensured the City’s wells are producing and in good order, modified watering schedules for irrigation of City parks and facilities, asked agencies with large fields to delay irrigation, and is ready to implement contingency supply plans with Valley Of the Moon Water District.
The City does not anticipate any interruption of service; however, all customers are encouraged to increase water conservation efforts beginning Sunday night (September 11, 2022) and continue until the repair is completed and the water supply is restored. Construction could take up to seven days.
Recommended Water Conservation Measures beginning late Sunday, September 11th:
- Turn off or significantly decrease irrigation
- Limit showers to 5 minutes
- Wash laundry during the construction period only as needed
- Run only full loads in the dishwasher
- Hold off on washing vehicles
These recommendations are in addition to the following prohibitions currently in effect under the City’s current Stage 2 Water Conservation Emergency declaration:
- Refilling or initial filling of a swimming pool from the City’s water system except as otherwise needed to maintain the water level for the proper operation of swimming pool pumps and filters;
- Use of water for nonrecirculating ornamental fountains by commercial customers;
- Noncommercial washing of privately owned motor vehicles, trailers, and boats except from a bucket and a hose equipped with a shutoff nozzle;
- Any use of water from a fire hydrant except for fighting fires. Use for essential construction needs may be permitted by the director upon submittal of a permit application for construction water;
- Use of potable water for dust control at construction sites; and
- Residential and commercial irrigation except on Monday and Thursday nights from 8pm to 6am.
For more information and details regarding the repair, please visit the Sonoma Water website.
For more information about the City of Sonoma Water Division, please visit our Water Division webpage.