The City of Sonoma has selected Karen Collins as Honorary Alcaldessa (“Alcalde” is the Spanish name for Mayor.) After considerable discussion, Mayor Harrington nominated Ms. Collins in recognition of her ongoing efforts and contributions to the Sonoma community. Particularly of note was Ms. Collins’ work in the preservation and protection of the natural environment in and around the City of Sonoma. The announcement was made at the January 14, 2019 Council Meeting and it was ratified unanimously by the City Council.
The nomination for Alcalde was based upon several of the following:
- A broad spectrum of voluntary community service to Sonoma Valley
- Service in a leadership role in at least one non-profit organization
- Has spearheaded at least one community-serving project without compensation
- Is well-known for consistent behind-the-scenes good deeds
- Does not seek public accolades or recognition for work done
- Adheres to a high standard of moral and ethical values
Newly appointed Collins currently serves as a Commissioner on the Sonoma County Regional Parks and Recreation Commission and was instrumental in creating Sonoma’s Overlook Trail. She also serves on the Board of Jack London Park Partners, the non-profit group that operates Jack London State Historical Park, and in 2014 she was named the Sonoma Valley “Conservationist of the Year.”
The City of Sonoma will host a reception in Ms. Collins’ honor soon. Details of the reception will be announced at a later date.
To learn more about the City of Sonoma Alcalde and a list of past Alcaldes and Alcaldessas, please visit our Alcalde page.
For additional information, contact City Clerk, Rebekah Barr.