FAQ Topic: Building & Construction

What is SolarAPP+?

SolarAPP+, short for Solar Automated Permit Processing, is an online web portal that automates the plan review process for issuing permits to qualified contractors to install code-compliant residential (1 & 2 family dwellings, ADU’s) rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. Based on California building, electrical, and fire codes, SolarAPP automatically performs a compliance check based on … Continued

Is there any way to expedite my building permit?

FAST START Plan Check is a way to “fast track” the processing of your building permit application so you can get your project underway quickly. We recognize that for many projects, time is of the essence.  Using FAST START can significantly reduce the turnaround on your plan check, enabling you to get going faster.  There’s no … Continued

What is a special inspector and how do I find one?

A Special Inspector is a third party, independent inspector hired by the property owner to inspect specific elements of a project (i.e. welding, structural bolting, high strength concrete, masonry, fireproofing, etc.) as prescribed by the building code.  Special Inspection firms that have been recognized by the City of Sonoma for specific types of special inspections … Continued

How do I schedule a building inspection?

Building inspections can be scheduled by phone, fax or in person at City Hall. The information needed before an inspection can take place includes the job address, inspection type, time of day for the inspection (i.e. morning or afternoon), your name, your phone number and the permit number. To schedule by phone, call 707-938-3681 during … Continued

When is an encroachment permit needed?

Encroachment permits are required if you plan to do any construction work in the sidewalk area, in an easement, on city owned property (median islands, parks, city facilities) or in the street. Common reasons you would need one: Utility saw-cuts Excavation News stands Bicycle racks Sidewalk dining Debris boxes Fences/walls Construction staging

Do I need a sign permit?

Many types of signs require a permit.  You can find links and additional information on our business signage page.  Contact the Planning Department for details.

When do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required to build, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a structure. This includes everything from houses and garages to commercial construction, tenant improvements to signs. Some work does not require a permit. Prior to getting a building permit, you should first check with the Planning Division to make sure what you want … Continued

Close window