FAQ Topic: Business FAQs

What are Sonoma’s Living Wage regulations and how do I get more information?

The City of Sonoma’s Living Wage Ordinance (Sonoma Municipal Code Section 2.70) was adopted in 2004. The Living Wage applies to a very limited number of entities, and only if they employ more than six employees. These include the City of Sonoma itself and organizations that receive funding or financial assistance above certain levels from … Continued

How do I file for a liquor license?

To sell alcoholic beverages, you need a liquor license. You can find information about buying a liquor license from the California Department of Alcohol & Beverage Control (ABC). The nearest local ABC office is in Santa Rosa. You can call them at (707) 576-2165. Your business may also need special review and approvals from the City … Continued

What are the zoning restrictions in the city?

Zoning restrictions in the city vary by property address. To find out the specific zoning designation of an address in the City of Sonoma, view the zoning map and contact the Planning Department for more information.  You can also reference Sonoma’s Geographic Information System (GIS) which provides instant access to property characteristics such as zoning, assessor’s information and … Continued

How do I start a business in the city?

Through a contract with the City, the Sonoma Valley Chamber of Commerce provides one-on-one assistance to potential start-ups, giving you the resources and information you need to turn your idea into reality.  Visit their start-up page and contact the Chamber to set up a meeting.  

Does the city require a business license?

Any person or company conducting business within the city limits of the City of Sonoma, whether ongoing or one-time only, is required to have an active business license. To apply for a business license, please download the business license application. You can determine the amount due for your license using the fee schedule listed on … Continued

Close window