The residents in Sonoma voted to adopt an ordinance, Smoking Ordinance #2016-15, to protect residents from exposure to secondhand smoke on November 8, 2016 and this was adopted by the City Council on December 12, 2016. Sonoma County Department of Health Services, whose role is to provide tobacco technical assistance for the entire County, continues to provide education and technical assistance in conjunction with the smoking laws in the City of Sonoma.
No smoking is allowed in the following areas:
- Service areas such as ATM or ticket lines, bus stops etc.;
- Public places such as parks, paths, streets and sidewalks;
- Public events such as festivals, fairs, farmers markets and concerts;
- Dining areas such as restaurants and bars;
- Multi-unit residences including indoor common areas such as apartments, hotels, and motels.
Smoking is permitted a minimum of 25 feet from areas where smoking is prohibited and in private residences without shared walls. A "designated smoking area" may be created if it meets criteria established in the ordinance.
Property Owners of hotel/motels, restaurants, bars, and multi-unit family housing must do the following in order to comply with the Ordinance:
- Post noticeable No Smoking signs that include the international "No smoking" symbol and have text no less than 1" in height at each point of ingress to the area and at least one other conspicuous place. One sign must have the County phone number to address complaints (707) 565-6680;
- If applicable, post Designated Smoking Area signs;
- Remove smoking waste receptacles from non-smoking areas;
- Inform guests about the smoking rules, which include e-cigarettes, and marijuana;
- Refuse to sell any tobacco products which include flavors other than tobacco;
- Support compliance
For Assistance with Voluntary Compliance
We encourage you to contact DHS Tobacco Prevention Program Staff at (707) 565-6680 in order to receive invidualized technical assistance or visit the Sonoma County website which includes resources to help quit smoking, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), references, and downloadable "No Smoking" signs.
Contact the City of Sonoma Code Enforcement Department at (707) 867-2796 or email code enforcement.