FAQ Topic: Police

What happens if I file a false criminal complaint?

We invite citizens to bring their concerns regarding law enforcement practices and services to our attention, however, anyone who alleges that a crime was committed and reports that to a peace officer, knowing the report to be false, could be charged with a misdemeanor.

What happens after I file a complaint?

The complaint is received, reviewed and assigned to a supervisor for further investigation. If the supervisor is able to resolve the complaint after examining all the facts and circumstances, you will be notified. If the complaint requires further review, it will be forwarded to the Administration Division Captain for a formal recommendation and then to … Continued

When can a complaint be made?

A complaint may be made 24 hours a day. After normal business hours, a personnel complaint may be registered with any supervisor or the on-duty Watch Commander, or by calling (707) 565-2650.

How can a personnel complaint be made?

A complaint may be made by telephone, by mail, or in person. The complaint may be made at the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office or another mutually convenient location. The Sheriff’s Office is primarily interested in learning of your concerns about law enforcement conduct or a need for improvement in our delivery of services.

Will I have to testify if I make a complaint?

A complainant does not normally have to testify in any formal hearing. During the investigation you, along with all witnesses, may be questioned concerning the incident. It is essential to any investigation to ask all pertinent questions and obtain factual information. Once an investigation is concluded, a disposition will be determined. Employees of the Sonoma … Continued

Who can make a complaint?

A personnel complaint may be made by anyone. However, if the complainant is under the age of 18, we require that the complainant be accompanied by a parent or an adult.

What is a citizen’s complaint?

A citizen’s complaint is your opportunity to address whatever issue or concern you may have about a Sheriff’s Office member’s performance. You can make a complaint about anything that concerns you. It will be taken seriously and handled appropriately by supervisory staff.

How can I get a copy of my accident report?

Call the Police Department at 707-996-3602.  Provide the Report Number, date and contact information. You must be named as a party involved in the accident or an insurer of the named party to obtain a copy of the report. Please bring photo ID when picking up the report.

How do I report graffiti?

Report graffiti or tagging to the Public Works Department at (707) 938-3332, or use our online reporting form, which allows you to include a description or attach a photo.

Close window