Starting salary is generally the first step of the range listed; however, advanced step appointments may be approved based upon qualifications when warranted. Salary increases within the range are on an annual basis and may be granted based on a satisfactory service.
In compliance with Assembly Bill 2040 (Government Code 53908), the City of Sonoma provides the latest compensation information for our elected officials, officers, and employees via the State Controller’s Government Compensation website.
Summary of Employee Benefits
The City of Sonoma provides a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as a variety of alternative work schedules including a 9/80 and 4/10.
The benefits package includes:
- Retirement - The City contracts with the California Public Retirement System (CalPERS) Retirement System – Classic Members - Miscellaneous 2% at 55 Candidates hired on or after January 1, 2013, are subject to restrictions imposed by the California Public Employees' Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA).
- Medical - Generous medical package for employee and family members.
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- AD&D and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Vacation - Vacation accrues at the rate of 80 hours per year for the first three years and increases with years of service.
- Sick Leave - Sick Leave accrues at the rate of 4 hours per month with an additional 24 hours of Alternative Sick Leave awarded July 1 and 24 hours awarded January 1 of each year.
- Paid Holidays - 12.5 holidays per year.
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Employee Assistance Program
The City does not participate in Social Security or State Disability Insurance.