Welcome to the Sonoma City Clerk's Office
The City Clerk is the local Elections Official who administers democratic processes such as elections, access to city records, and all legislative actions ensuring transparency to the public. The City Clerk acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act.
In the City of Sonoma, the City Clerk also serves as the Public Information Officer and manages the City's website. The City Clerk is appointed by the City Manager.
The Office of the City Clerk is responsible for the following:
- Administration of fair and impartial elections for City Council candidates and measures
- Local Filing Officer and Filing Official duties under the Political Reform Act
- Custodian of the City's records and administration of citywide records management program
- Management of the City Council's legislative agenda and documents
- Record and maintain proceedings of Council meetings, minutes, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, etc.
- Posting and publication of legal notices and documents
- Receive claims, summons, appeals and suits related to city government
- Maintenance of the municipal code
- Receive bid documents
- Manage and respond to public requests for information in a timely manner
- Maintain custody of the City Seal
- Administer Oaths of Office
- Provide support services to the Mayor and City Council
- Coordinate recruitment for City Council-appointed Boards, Commissions, and Committees