Welcome to the City’s Housing Element Update Home Page. The Housing Element is a part of the General Plan for the City that assesses housing needs in the City and lays out policies for addressing those needs. The City is currently engaged in the process of updating this important document.
Learn more about the status of the City's Housing Element update process, background information, Frequently Asked Questions, what a Housing Element is, and how you can get involved in the process. We will continue to add information to these web pages as reports are released for review by the City Council, Planning Commission, and residents of the City of Sonoma.
The City of Sonoma City Council will consider the City of Sonoma 6th Cycle Housing Plan and Background Report and CEQA Notice of Exemption at a Special Meeting on Tuesday, January 31st at 6 p.m. The agenda will be available on our CivicWeb Portal.
The draft Housing Plan can be viewed or downloaded below in three parts.
The Special Meeting will be held at City Council Chambers at 177 First St. West and can be viewed on channel 27 or the City’s CivicWeb portal. This is a “hybrid meeting” in that those interested in participating can do so in person or virtually on Zoom. Find out how to participate in virtual meetings here.
Virtual Workshop – English
Virtual Workshop – Spanish
Housing Element Update Timeline
- October 2021 - February 2022, Evaluate/Review Existing Conditions, Plans, and Programs
- February/March 2022, Virtual Public Workshop and Community Survey
- January - July 2022, Prepare initial Housing Element Analysis
- August/September 2022, Public Review Draft Housing Element (30-day review)
- August 18, 2022, General Plan, Housing Element Presentation
- August/September, Community Open House
- September/Outober, HCD Draft Housing Element (90-day HCD review)
- January 2023, Adoption of Draft Housing Element
- January 2023, Final Housing Element and Certification