The City of Sonoma's 6th Cycle Housing Element has been adopted and approved. Thank you to all in our community that engaged in the process of updating this important document.
The Sonoma City Council approved the Sonoma 6th Cycle Housing Plan and Background Report and CEQA Notice of Exemption at their Special Meeting on Tuesday, January 31st.
On April 13, 2023, the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) issued a letter to the City of Sonoma stating that they are “pleased to find the adopted housing element in full compliance with State Housing Element Law (Article 10.6 of the Gov. Code). The adopted element, including non-substantive modifications, which was posted on the City’s website, addresses the statutory requirements described in HCD’s January 24, 2023, review.”
The adopted Housing Plan can be viewed or downloaded below in three parts.
Learn more about the City's Housing Element update process, background information, Frequently Asked Questions, and what a Housing Element is below.
Archived News & Updates
- HCD finds City’s adopted housing element in full compliance - Posted on April 13, 2023
- Revised Adopted Housing Element Now Available - Posted on April 13,2023
- City Council to Consider Sonoma’s 6th Cycle Housing Plan on Jan. 31st, 6 PM - Posted on January 27, 2023
- Special City Council Meeting to Consider Sonoma’s 6th Cycle Housing Plan on Jan. 31st, 6PM - Posted on January 20, 2023
- Special Planning Commission Meeting to Consider Sonoma’s 6th Cycle Housing Plan on Jan. 10th - Posted on January 6, 2023
- Draft Housing Element Submitted to the Department of Housing and Community Development - Posted on October 28, 2022
- Public comment period for Draft Housing Element extended to 5:00 PM September 16th - Posted on September 8, 2022
- Public Comment Period Extended to Sept. 16th – Public Invited to Submit Comments on Draft Housing Element - Posted on August 25, 2022
- Public Review of the 6th Cycle Draft Housing Element - Posted on August 8, 2022
- Let’s Talk Housing at Sonoma’s Tuesday Night Market – July 19th - Posted on July 13, 2022
- Take our Housing Survey for a chance to win a $50 Visa gift card! - Posted on April 6, 2022
- Let us know your housing concerns and priorities – take our survey today! - Posted on March 24, 2022
- Where would you like to see new housing in the city of Sonoma? - Posted on February 25, 2022
- Housing Element Kick-Off Meeting Recap- Posted on February 1, 2022
- Housing Element Kick-Off Meeting – January 25th, 6:00 PM (Virtual) - Posted on January 24, 2022
Virtual Workshop – Spanish
Virtual Workshop – English
Housing Element Update Timeline
- October 2021 - February 2022, Evaluate/Review Existing Conditions, Plans, and Programs
- February/March 2022, Virtual Public Workshop and Community Survey
- January - July 2022, Prepare initial Housing Element Analysis
- August/September 2022, Public Review Draft Housing Element (30-day review)
- August 18, 2022, General Plan, Housing Element Presentation
- August/September, Community Open House
- September/Outober, HCD Draft Housing Element (90-day HCD review)
- January 2023, Adoption of Draft Housing Element
- January 2023, Final Housing Element and Certification