Food, shelter, health and other basic needs are essential to a thriving community. In Sonoma Valley, most community social services are provided by local nonprofits and the County of Sonoma. The City of Sonoma works in close partnership with these organizations, and directly supports community services in many ways. A few examples:
- The Youth and Family Services program of the Police Department
- A services contract with Vintage House, which offers help with transportation, food, and other needs for seniors.
- Direct financial support for Sonoma Overnight Support, which provides services to the homeless in Sonoma Valley
- Policies and initiatives to support for the availability, adequacy and affordability of housing in Sonoma
- A City subsidy to support a “Fare-Free” Sonoma Shuttle (Sonoma Transit Route 32)
- A number of City initiatives and partnerships to support the community during the coronavirus pandemic, including the Food Security Task Force and Food Assistance Calendar. The City also provided financial support in 2020 to the FISH rental assistance program.
Links to local resources can be found below.