To meet the required 20% water usage reduction, the following actions will be prohibited effective July 1, 2021:
- Refilling or initial filling of a swimming pool from the City’s water system except as otherwise needed to maintain the water level for the proper operation of swimming pool pumps and filters;
- Use of water for nonrecirculating ornamental fountains by commercial customers;
- Noncommercial washing of privately owned motor vehicles, trailers, and boats except from a bucket and a hose equipped with a shutoff nozzle;
- Any use of water from a fire hydrant except for fighting fires. Use for essential construction needs may be permitted by the director upon submittal of a permit application for construction water;
- Use of potable water for dust control at construction sites; and
- Residential and commercial irrigation except on Monday and Thursday nights from 8pm to 6am.
The following are exempt from Stage 2 irrigation restrictions:
- Landscape irrigation zones that exclusively use drip irrigation systems
- Watering or irrigating by use of a hand-held bucket or similar container, a hand-held hose equipped with a positive self-closing water shut-off nozzle or device, or for very short periods of time for the express purpose of adjusting or repairing an irrigation system
- Irrigation of athletic fields
- Irrigation of the City’s Plaza
In addition, water users are encouraged to take the following recommended actions:
- Inspect all irrigation systems, repair leaks, and adjust spray heads to provide optimum coverage and eliminate avoidable over-spray.
- For irrigation valves controlling water applied to lawns, vary the minutes of run time consistent with fluctuations in weather.
- Reduce minutes of run-time for each irrigation cycle if water begins to run off to gutters and ditches before the irrigation cycle is completed.
- Utilize water conservation rebate and other incentive programs to replace high water-use plumbing fixtures and appliances with water-efficient models.
- Utilize City information on using water efficiently, reading water meters, repairing ordinary leaks, and applying water efficiently to landscaping.